Friday, September 23, 2011

Portobello Market Madness


If you're living in or visiting London, you have to experience Portobello Market at least once.  Rex and I walked up to Notting Hill last weekend for breakfast (we found a great breakfast place called "Mike's" that makes great Eggs Benedict!) and decided to walk back down Portobello Road.  


The crowds on Saturdays are massive - sometimes it's even hard to walk amongst them. But today I decided I was in the mood to do some people watching and browsing.


Portobello Road is know for it's multi-colored houses and pretty window boxes.  Remember the moving "Notting Hill" with Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts?  It takes place in picturesque Notting Hill.


I'm not so sure that "chic" describes this street but someone thinks it does.


There's entertainment at every turn, including the musical variety.  This guy was quite a character and loved dressing up for the part.  Mostly he would just sit there and pose - forget strumming the guitar!  You'd think he was from a different era but his Bart Simpson tie gives it away.


I could have listened to this guy playing the harp all day.


This is one of my favorite tiny little shops, "Books for Cooks."


Every kind of cookbook you could imagine is crammed onto the shelves.


including intriguing titles such as this one.  I think I should create one called, "Eat, Drink, Eat"!  I love cookbooks so I couldn't resist buying one


representing one of my favorite places in London, The Hummingbird Bakery.  Hmmm..., I've never, ever been much of a baker in my life but this book has inspired me.  How about the red velvet cupcakes (my absolute favorite), the double chocolate cookies or the banana cream pie?  Better to leave the last one to my Mom - because she does it best!


They have a little restaurant in the back where I met a friend once for lunch.  It was charming and delicious.  They offer cooking classes, too.


The Spice Shop is a new discovery for me - so colorful and aromatic, we couldn't resist going in.


As we perused the shelves of every spice imaginable, we spotted a jar of Skippy peanut butter. The owner smiled in embarrassment!  


Pretty peppers.


I have no excuse for not making exotic spicy food with this selection.


And onward to the fresh food stalls


where stall after stall offers an array of brightly colored fresh fruit and vegetables.


Or, if you haven't had your lunch yet, you can just eat your way all the way up the road.  The good smells coming from this chicken were tempting


and the fresh pastries and desserts were abundant.


If I hadn't just had breakfast, I might have indulged in an almond-filled croissant.


Maybe I need to start checking out the "fascinators" for next year's Royal Ascot, though these look more fallish with their dark feathers.  Besides, remember next year, I'm going for the big, colorful hat!


There are leather bags for sale,


Russian hats and military gear,


and warm Scottish hats and scarves.


If you're into antique silver, you're in the right place.  There are countless stores along the way that sell everything from eating utensils to full tea sets.  And to make sure your silver is authentic, you'll need


 a magnifying glass to check the English silver hallmarks that indicate the age of the silver piece and where it was made.


Ready for afternoon tea?


These cups aren't antique but they may be worth something - someday!


Here, you can toot your own horn or


play a board game on these beautiful antique sets.


Can't forget about the costume jewelry.


There's a gem in there somewhere. (Wouldn't this picture make a great jigsaw puzzle?)


Not a bad buy on the scarves - that's about US$10 each if you buy 3!  


You can get the latest in watch fashion - the ceramic ones - in almost every color.


This vintage dress would look just right on someone here next summer or 


maybe you're in need of something for a costume party.


Nothing much interesting in this window - except the black cat sunning himself.  Not for sale.


Buy a bag to hold all your bargains.


There's a sign for every purpose but it seems to me that the "hippies" are a little discriminated against and


these road signs make nice souvenirs to take home.


This one left me with a twinkle in me eye as I left the Portobello Market on that fine Saturday!

2 comments:

  1. You've flamed my desire to go back to Portobello. I haven't been in almost 2 years, but I've been pondering a trip lately. Great reporting on all you saw--so many colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i really liked the variosu photos.especially the pics on food available their.i am personally going to london next month, for 3 days.i would realy appreciate much help if im guided more about the portebello market.

    ReplyDelete